And so it begins.

7:14 PM 3 Comments

Hello friends and happy Memorial Day! So today, amidst sleeping in, sitting in the bathtub for 45 minutes because of a tornado warning, worrying about my husband who was at the gym during said tornado warning, sewing my cute Farm Girl Vintage blocks, and eating sweet potato fries, I, Michelle, decided to begin a blog. All of you get to hear about my goofy antics, sweet husband, attempts at quilting, cross-stitching, knitting, embroidery, even further attempts at teaching college-age students how awesome math is, my faith, my struggling with my own math classes, and much, much more. So, to start, I will introduce myself.


This is me:



I believe I had just gotten my hair cut when this pic was taken. :) I guess I was tired... hence the squinty eyes. (I probably had only one cup of coffee that day.....) I am a born and raised Texan, who loves a whole lot of things: Jesus, my husband, my family, my dear dear friends, laughing, COFFEE, shopping, sewing, crafting, math, teaching, learning, eating, sleeping, and making others laugh. I am currently going to school to get my master's degree in mathematics. Sounds cuckoo I know. (I hear it a lot.) BUT I totally love it and I also have the opportunity to teach undergraduates math as well. It is so awesome and I am so blessed to be able to do so. Lastly, (too much about me... boring) I have been married for almost a year to the most amazing, hilarious, and wonderful man. He puts up with my goofiness and still loves me! 

Now,

onto.... THE CRAFTS! So my mother and I, and now my sister, recently have been slightly (aka extremely) obsessed with Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage book. It is amazing and quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life. #farmgirlfridays have actually turned into #farmgirllyfe. Errday allday. Here are the ones I've completed for my Farm Girl Sampler:


The Canning Season and Chicken Foot blocks

My special FGV basket :) 

Butter Churn and Baking Day blocks

Baby Chick and Apron Strings blocks

All of my cuties together :)

I mean, I already LOVE vintage fabrics, really all things vintage, so this book is my Mecca. It is amazing. My mom, dad, and I recently went on a trip to Michigan and my mom commented, "I wish we had brought FGV with just to look at the pictures." The pictures are amazing and so vivid. (And cute. Obv.) Lori (because we are obviously on a first name basis.. #besties) does a great job with the instructions and spelling everything out for dummies like me. I struggle. 

I also managed today to do a few new blocks for a special super secret project I am working on. Here's a few pics, hopefully it wont give it away!

 This is my purple Woolly Sheep block! No legs or eyes yet. I decided she was levitating.

My DELICIOUS Mooyah sweet potato fries my dear husband got me :) (gone in about .342 seconds)



Cuttings for my Pie Cherries block                                        Zoey the Zebra showing off the block :)

The finished Pie Cherries block up close!

Pieces for the Egg Basket block

Close up so y'all can see how cute the fabric is

All complete! Seriously my favorite block so far. (Although I say that after practically every block...)

The trio plus the book :)

So all in all, today was a successful sewing day besides the scary tornado warning in the middle!!! I huddled in the tub for 45 minutes under the quilt I grabbed from the hall closet, because if something was going to happen to me, you better believe it would be with my favorite quilt!

A Texas Tumbler quilt done in 1930's reproduction fabrics.

And, of course, my husband had decided to leave about 20 minutes earlier to go work out. So here's some math: 

1 tornado warning + freaked out Michelle -strong, level-headed husband = a terrible 45 minutes of my life. 
Needless to say, I had Aaron call me ASAP when I got the warning, shivered in the cold and uncomfortable tub, prayed, and distracted myself with Etsy until it was over. Afterwards, treated myself to some ice cream. (Really what else would anyone do??) It was an exciting day in our household. 

Well now I'm off to end my evening with some fun cross-stitching on a little book mark: 


And lastly, I hope everyone had a great Memorial day!


A special shout-out to my favorite veteran, my cousin Andrew. Love you!


Happy sewing and thanks for listening to my crafty, mathy lyfe!







Unknown

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard. Google

3 comments:

  1. You're so cute! Glad you decided to start a blog! I've enjoyed your photos on IG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when did life have a y in it? I must not be one of the cool kids.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.